Gov. Baker Announced Extends Statewide School Closure Through End of School Year
WEYMOUTH — Superintendent Jennifer Curtis-Whipple announces that, in accordance with a new order from Gov. Charlie Baker and the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, the Weymouth Public Schools (WPS) shall remain closed through the end of the 2019-2020 academic year as a precaution against the COVID-19 pandemic.
The statewide closure of schools, originally set to end on April 7 and previously extended to May 4, has been further extended through the end of the school year.
The last day of school in Weymouth is scheduled to be June 19.
The extended closure of schools is an unprecedented step in limiting the potential spread of COVID-19 and continuing the practice of social distancing as more positive cases and deaths are announced in the state each day.
While schools remain closed, the district’s food pick-up service for students and families will continue. As a reminder, food pick-up is available at the Abigail Adams Middle School, 89 Middle St., and the Seach Primary School, 770 Middle St., Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. All children are eligible to receive meals and meals can be provided for five days per student. This service is free to all children in Weymouth.
All athletic programs, events and after school activities will remain suspended and fields, playgrounds and play areas will remain closed until further notice.
Commissioner of Elementary and Secondary Education Jeffrey Riley canceled MCAS for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year across grades 3-10. The Commissioner has not yet made a decision regarding competency determination for high school graduation.
Discussions about events like graduation, prom and academic awards ceremonies will be discussed in the coming days and weeks and further information will be shared as it becomes available.
“It’s unfortunate to see our in-person school year cut short as we move the rest of the year to a remote learning curriculum, but we have anticipated this scenario,” said Superintendent Curtis-Whipple. “With that being said, we would like to to reassure our community members that we have planned for this and are prepared. We have the resources necessary to finish the academic year while providing remote resources for our students.”
Remote learning will continue through the end of the school year, June 19, and new content will continue to be introduced to students by their teachers. Students will focus on what the Department of Education refers to as “Power Standards.” Power Standards are a subset of grade level standards that the Massachusetts Department of Education has determined to be the highest priority or most important for students to learn.
Commissioner Riley will be releasing additional guidance and recommendations to school districts statewide within the coming days.
Teachers, support staff, specialized staff, WeyCare staff and administrators have worked since the initial school closure to support students’ connections to their school community and classwork. Maintenance staff, custodial staff, food service staff, transportation staff and other WPS employees continue to work on a daily basis to support the needs of our school community and ensure safe working environments in our buildings.
During the school closure, teachers and curriculum staff have remained vigilant and mindful of their individual students’ needs and have made adjustments according to those needs. Teachers will continue to reach out to students and families on a regular basis throughout the remainder of the school closure.
For more information, visit the district’s website at https://www.weymouthschools.org/.